Tips For Apartment Hunting In Yangon
If you’re looking to rent a flat anywhere, being informed about the local area is a key step in making sure you get the most when you’re looking to rent, whether its apartments in Myanmar or flats in London.
So, for those looking to rent in Yangon, Myanmar, here are some tips on how to get the most value for expatriates looking to work in Yangon.
- This is Agent Smith.
- See, not all agents are created equal, regardless of what kind of agent they are. Some real estate agents understand what expatriates really want, and some don’t. See, expats tend to prefer more modern amenities like elevators and air conditioning. Serviced apartments tend to be the ones with the full package, but since they’re usually full or oversubscribed, most expats are left working with what they can get.
- Location, location, location.
- Yangon has fairly narrow streets, with those looking for apartments in Myanmar, with a trip from the airport to downtown Yangon takes about an hour now, which is notable since back then, it only took half that time. With business people barely making appointments or even late, even with extra time for travel, especially during the yearly monsoon season that hits Myanmar. Most expats use taxis to get around, so travelling can be an issue.
- Lower your expectations.
- Myanmar is one of the region’s poorest countries, though quality housing have moved up in prices, and, as a result, office space is more expensive than anywhere in Southeast Asia. Yes, even Singapore. Now, landlords and property developers are moving in to take advantage of the influx of foreigners and expatriates, citing sky-high prices.
- Be open with Wi-Fi.
- Wi-Fi in Yangon can be a bit unreliable, though Telenor and Ooredoo are doing their best to improve upon it. Home Wi-Fi is also a bit problematic, so most expats opt to go and use SIM cards for 3G service, with their laptops connecting to the internet via their phones. It’s still expensive, but better than the costs of a home Wi-Fi, which usually sits at USD500.