Things You Should Avoid Doing When Renting a Car
As of 2012, the car rental industry in the US has been valued at $24 billion. This value can be attributed to the increase of people who are renting cars. Car rentals have many advantages that come with them. That is why more and more people are choosing to hire cars whenever they need of them. But when hiring cars, there are certain things that you would want to avoid doing and should be careful about. You may think that car rentals are transparent when it truth, they are actually not.
Here are some of the things you should not do when renting a car.
- Prepaying for gasoline. Yes, it may seem ideal to pay for the gasoline before you start your trip. This would help you avoid doing stopovers and would help you get to your destination much faster. But prepaying for gasoline is actually something that you should carefully think about. Sometimes they can prove as more of a bad investment than a good one. So unless you are sure to return the car with an empty tank, make sure you avoid prepaying for gasoline.
- Not checking for places where you can refuel. In your hurry, you might neglect to check for the places where you can refuel while on your way back. It is important that you always check for these places to avoid unnecessary stops.
- Purchasing a new insurance. This is a bad move on every aspect because your own car insurance is sure to cover you so there is actually no need to purchase a new one for the rental. Also, anything that would not get covered by your car insurance will be covered by your credit card.
- Ignoring upgrade offers. When a desk agent offers you for upgrades, what you should always reply is “depends on the price.” This is because most desk agents will offer you good upgrades when you call them via phone. Most of the time, you would get a bigger and better car for a less expensive price.
- Not inspecting the car before leaving. Whether you have booked a car or a van rental, it is always important that you inspect the vehicle you have rented before leaving so that if it has any problems, it can be noted that you don’t have to pay for them.