SUP Boarding 101: The Basic Paddle Boarding Gear
Standup paddle boarding offers a wide number of benefits. First of all, stand up paddle boarding or SUP boarding provides a full-body workout that would help you improve your flexibility, your cardiac fitness, balance and strength and not only that, standup paddle boarding gives you the chance to explore and be one with Mother Nature.
Standup paddle boarding is currently one of the most popular and fastest growing water sports today. In fact, the percentage of gear sales went up by 200% than that of the previous year. More and more people are being drawn in by standup paddle boarding and if you are one of those people, you should know that SUP boarding is not just about the strength. It’s all about the skill and how you can handle the equipment.
When it comes to the skill, you can learn from other people or take paddle boarding lessons. Constant application of these lessons would help you master the art of standup paddle boarding. With the gear, you should know that you’ll only need a few pieces of equipment.
- Standup Paddle Board. The first one is the paddle board. This is probably the most important equipment that you should have. There are many types of paddle boards. In fact, you can even use surf boards if you’re really good. However, it would be better if you make use of original paddle boards specific to standup paddle boarding.
- The paddle is what you will use to move through the waters. Standup paddles would always have an elbow in the shaft for maximum efficiency. When you choose a paddle board, make sure to choose one that is 6” to 8” taller than you.
- Personal Flotation Device. PFDs will help keep you safe. Since the US Coast Guard classifies standup paddle boards as vessels, PFDs are a requirement. There are many types of PFDs but the most popular ones are the inflatable PFDs.
- Proper Clothing. Wear a wetsuit or dry suit for cool temperatures and bathing suits, t-shirts or shorts for warmer temperatures.
- Never forget to use a leash that would make you stay connected with the paddle board. They will help keep you safe.
- The sun can be very violent without protection. Also make sure to wear sunglasses.
Star Board produces high quality paddle boards. If you want high quality paddle boards with maximized efficiency, then what are you waiting for? Get your Star Board SUP boards here.