Be Familiar With Thailand Culture Before Your Visit
Thailand is a very interesting destination not only for backpackers but business and recreational travellers. The Southeast Asian country boasts of stunning beaches on its Southern islands and beautiful landscape in the Northern side; however, it is the rich culture that often lures many tourists to visit the country.
However, if it is your first time to visit Thailand, there are things that you need to know so that you do not commit a serious faux d pas.
- Touching the head of anyone is a show of disrespect because the Thais consider the head as a sacred part of the body. The Thai’s consider the left hand as bathroom hand which means you should always use the right hand to wave or pay for a purchase.
- Like all other big and cities of the world, Thailand is also a breeding ground for scammers. Never buy jewellery on the streets even if the vendor insists that the price is very cheap for a genuine item. The scammers can put pressure on unsuspecting tourists by offering advice and convincing them to buy jewellery or visit a beautiful site.
- It is very likely that you will desire to experience riding a tuktuk. Do not just hop in but negotiate and settle the price first with the driver. For at least 10 baht, you can explore different tourist spots but later on, you will be taken to a jewellery or fashion store where the driver will earn an extra commission.
- The most convenient footwear to use in exploring the city is the flip flops. You have to remove them when you enter sacred temples and shrines.
- The Thais salute each other through the Wai. You put the hands together and bow slightly. Thais will appreciate a foreigner who knows the gesture.
Thailand is one of those places where you can enjoy a luxury hotel without breaking the bank. A good option for Bangkok residence is a hotel that is near public transport, shopping centres, restaurants and tourist destinations. It allows you reach different parts of the city with ease and convenience.